Sunday, May 26, 2019

"Horror" Movies

Ok this is a serious problem.  What even are horror movies these days??  A prime example of the lack of plot development in so-called "horror movies" is in the film The Possession of Hannah Grace.  Leading up to watching this movie, I thought it would be sufficiently scary, judging from the small amount of the trailer I saw.  My expectation was wrong.  The movie was cheesy, and had generic "jump scares" that were completely predictable.  Take another movie, for example- Bird Box.  This movie, contrary to others' belief, was also full of predicatble jump scares.  The movie, in my opinion, lacked depth, plot-wise and just gave birth to too many memes.  The cast of well-known celebrities automatically intrigued people, but really the movie turned out to be quite dull for me.  Another question I have is why are cheesy shark movies such as The Meg and 47 Meters Down considered horror movies nowadays?!  They are not horror movies!!  Why is the "horror movie" label so easily and carelessly slapped on these poorly-made films?  Producers are only interested in money, and they know that anything labelled as "horror" will be clicked on by horror movie junkies without a second thought.

The question is what happened to horror movies?  Friday the 13th, Rosemary's Baby, Halloween, The Sixth Sense, The Silence of the Lambs....  The list goes on.  These films all had original plots that had depth and creativity.  So is the progressive boredom of horror movies signifying a loss in creativity?  If you think about it, a lot of movies (in general) that come out are sequels or reboots of older movies.  There is a minimal amount of new films that are not based on a previous one, that also have a solid plot.  Is our society losing its creativity?  I believe it is, for a multitude of reasons, the main one being media.  Social media, and media in general, compromises our creativity by giving us an easy distraction that we can constantly return to. 

              Image result for why are horror movies bad now

1 comment:

  1. Although i’ve never bern a huge fan of horror movies since i’m such a wuss, I agree that the horror movies of today are being watered down. The movies that would force me to sleep in my parent’s bed for at least a week and keep me up for hours at night. All that natural horror that would make my skin crawl as I was watching it has just lost it’s touch. I agree so much that every horror movie is just jump scares one after the other with no real depth behind the characters.

    ReplyDelete